The folks at FreshBooks posted this infographic on their blog.Infographic: the Freelancer’s Game of Life
Of course it is fun to imagine that freelancing is all rainbows and kittens, but in the game of life there are often more pitfalls than the few move back # spaces possible landing areas.
- You realize that taking vacation is the same as UNEMPLOYMENT lose 2 moves
- Selling time for money means you never have any time move back 3
- There are 24 billable hours in each day, land overseas account, tele-presence and move forward
- Tax deductible is not the same as free, pay the bank $2000
- Your non-equity partners make off with your account, move back 1 space
- You finished the job, now get them to pay you, sit out next round
- You need find a contract house to manage the project move forward 5 spaces
Being successful as a freelancer is still something that eludes most who try. I doubt there are stats out there, but I would not be surprised if more than 75% of freelancers have to resort to going native after the first 2 years. Having survived 7 myself before getting a J.O.B. it is not always a sunny as this infographic makes it sound. First of all, i don't know many freelancers that even know the meaning of retirement.